Waukegan Public Library won a 2013 National Medal from the Institute of Museum and Library Services. This is the nation's highest honor for such institutions, and it is given to those serving their communities in extraordinary ways.
This Library Director opening is a terrific opportunity for a leader who is ready to guide a library that plays a significant role in the community!
The Waukegan Public Library provides services to a diverse community of approximately 89,000 residents. Waukegan is located in Lake County, Illinois, on the shores of Lake Michigan and approximately halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee. This opportunity is open due to the upcoming retirement of the current director.
The Waukegan Public Library Director will be expected to:
- Lead and inspire the staff and the library in a highly professional manner, fostering teamwork, collaboration and trust
- Advocate for the library and cultivate community partnerships
- Continue to move the library forward to best serve the needs of the community
- Leadership experience in a public library that demonstrates the ability and skill to work in an ethnically and socioeconomically diverse environment
- A sense of humor, intellectual curiosity and an eagerness to explore new ideas
- Political savvy with well-developed skills at building and strengthening relationships with the community
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school
Salary negotiable based on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits.
Questions? We welcome and encourage phone and email inquiries.
John Keister & Associates
Our firm is committed to Equal Employment Opportunities, and will not discriminate against any candidate because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Photos courtesy of Waukegan Public Library