Located in Oakland County northwest of Detroit and northeast of Ann Arbor, the library provides service to more than 90,000 people who reside, work, attend school or own property within the boundaries of the City of Farmington and the City of Farmington Hills.
The Farmington area is considered to be one of the top "Best Places to Live" in the country. Residents enjoy a high quality of life with top rated public schools, a diverse population, vibrant downtown and abundant recreational and entertainment options. Farmington and Farmington Hills are great places to work, play, and live.
About the Opportunity
The successful candidate will be a leader who can inspire staff, encourage teamwork and be open to new ideas. This individual should be visionary, aware of the needs of the communities served by the library but also willing to take the next steps to ensure that the library continues to remain vibrant and a leader in public library services.
The right Director will be a consensus builder who understands that the Board of Trustees, library staff and community members all have roles in making their library both relevant and irreplaceable. Great libraries, with great directors, keep evolving. Farmington Community Library is looking for greatness!
Qualifications and Requirements
- An understanding of current and emerging trends in library operations including customer service, technology and programming
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to inspire the staff, board and community
- Intellectual curiosity and openness to new ideas, coupled with good business sense
- A passion for librarianship with a clear vision of the future
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school
- Experience in a high-level public library leadership role with financial responsibilities
- Ability to obtain Level 1 Michigan Library Certification
Salary $95,000/year or higher, negotiable based on experience. Excellent benefits.
Questions? We welcome and encourage inquiries.
John Keister & Associates
We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunities, and will not discriminate against any candidate because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Photos courtesy of Farmington Community Library.